Monday, March 7, 2016

Batteries / Battery Power

When I first started out I used the normal Raspberry Pi power supply:




 but as I quickly found out, it is not enough voltage to turn the LEGO Mindstorms motors:




Then I figured out BrickPi had me covered:




That worked but I could still do better (by not using disposable batteries and having the battery last longer):





This is a remote-controlled car battery with a homemade adapter (the construction of the adapter will be in another post). The most important things were:
  • the voltage is not above 12v (this would overload the Raspberry Pi) or below 5v (this would cause the Raspberry Pi to restart if the motors used too much power).
  • the polarity must be correct (the inside of the connector is positive).
  • measure the actual voltage using a multimeter (the battery marked 8.4v actually puts out over 10v).



1 comment:

  1. Hey, this is an awesome you've done. I am about to get some external power bank. I understand if I use something like 12V and make sure the internal pin of the barrel is positive, I should be OK?

    ReplyDelete